Monday, March 5, 2007

the Dream According to Dylan

Excerpt from "Subterranean Homesick Blues and Blond Waltz," a bootleg poem published in the Tarantula collection

"let me say this about Justine-Ruthy & Zonk - none of them understood each other at all - Justine - she went off to join a rock & roll band & Ruthy - she decided to fight cocks professionally & when last heard from, Zonk was working in the garment district....they all lived happily ever after


where i live now, the only thing that keeps the area going is tradition - as you can figure out - it doesn't count very much - everything around me rots...i don't know how long it has been this way, but if it keeps up, soon i will be an old man - & i am only 15 - the only job around here is mining - but jesus, who wants to be a miner...i refuse to be part of such a shallow death - everybody talks about the middle ages as if it was actually in the middle ages - i'll do anything to leave here - my mind is running down the river - i'd sell my soul to the elephant - i'd cheat the sphinx - i'd lie to the conqueror...tho you might not take this the right way, i would even sign a chain with the devil...please don't send me any more grandfather clocks - no more books or care packages...if you're going to send me something, send me a key - i shall find the door where it fits, if it takes me the rest of my life"

-Bob Dylan

No comments: